Our words have a profound impact upon our lives. According to the scriptures in Proverbs 18:21, “There is power of life and death in our tongues”.
Language that’s infused with hope, patience and humor will positively affect how we move through our day. On the other hand, negative and defeatist words drag us down to their level and drain us of joy we could be finding in our life and work unto the Lord.
Wherever I go, I love to speak life into people. When I travel to one of my favorite vacation destinations, which is the Island of Maui, in the beautiful state of Hawaii, I have come to develop many long-term relationships simply by the words I have spoken to a staff person at our hotel, restaurant, on the beach, etc. I don’t do this to get anything, but the Lord does bless us in HUGE ways!
Today, make your mouth a fountain of life (Proverbs 10:11). Be a person whose mouth is full of life.
May I encourage you to Reflect & Respond on these things this week:
- Stay prayerful –By staying in communion with God.
- Bring your “A” Game – We are mere stewards of the gifts, talents and resources God has generously given us. They aren’t ours to waste or hide away. Keep this in mind as you choose the words you speak to others (and yourself) about the work God has given you to do.
- Don’t let temporary emotions have the final say – Remember, feelings fluctuate like the Maui wind! God promises wisdom, not the “feelings” of wisdom. It’s only natural to sometimes feel fed up or frustrated. But that’s what they are, feelings. Feelings and emotions do change, but we may say things we later regret and can’t take back or undo.
- Be slow to speak – THINK! (James 1:19)
- Say something affectionate to a loved one at an unexpected time. Seek to only speak words that are “Good for building up,” that give grace to those who hear. (Ephesians 4:29)
Enjoy these lyrics and worship song from TobyMac, Speak Life.
Use your words to inspire!